How Long Can Leopard Geckos Go Without Food?
Adult leopard geckos can survive without eating for up to 15 days or a month, depending on its health state. Commonly, a leopard refuses to eat food, but one should take care of their pet health. Choosing the leopard gecko food is no more challenging task. Now one can quickly get pet food from reliable online stores at affordable prices.
Suppose you are new to leopard geckos, then you should know some facts regarding this reptile species. Healthy geckos can survive without food for a more extended period, and almost every reptile can go off food for several days. If you have reptile pets, you need not worry about their food habits; they can easily adjust to situations.
A Typical gecko during the cold season goes without eating, which will not affect their health. We can say it is due to healthy metabolism that functions properly in any condition. Your pet is your family, and you should take care of him regardless of the situation. The best food for leopard gecko can help them to maintain good health.
Leopard gecko care guide!
- A healthy, leopard gecko pet can become an admirable pet. All you need to do is give the right diet at the right time. However, this small creature needs minimal care requirements and can be left alone for several days. These species are quiet, don’t need attention, and don’t smell like other mammalian pets.
- You can easily buy Leopard geckos from any pet shops as they are readily available at a low price. The best part about this type of reptile pet they do not need a large amount of space or habitat and this particular breed is the perfect lizard pet. As they don’t need any proper care, you can still make little effort to make them feel more comfortable and happy.
- The best way to look after a pet is by creating its niche; it is a place where your pet can stay safe and happy. Tanks are best for geckos housing; you can use any tank. A twenty-gallon tank is enough for an adult gecko to move freely. As gecko is not capable of climbing, you can consider a more spacious and broad tank.
- Length should be the first factor while choosing a tank rather than height. Moreover, tank inners temperature and cleanliness also affect the health of gecko. One should maintain proper temperature in terms of humidity and moisture, so the gecko doesn’t feel uncomfortable. You can decorate the tank according to your choice. Make sure you provide the best for leopard gecko so they can do playing and other activities easily.
What to feed your leopard gecko?
- Geckos mostly eat insects like grasshoppers, silkworms, wax worms, and crickets. Almost every reptile eats this kind of food. Some reptiles can eat plants and vegetables, but leopard geckos don’t eat it. Crickets are said to be the favorite and nutritious food for geckos.
- One should feed insects to geckos as they hunt the insect on their own, which will function as an exercise for them. Crickets can be found easily; many online stores are selling high-quality pet food. You can deal with them for the best food for leopard gecko.
- Ensure the food you provide is free from sand and stones, as it can affect their metabolism. A variety of food items will improve a pet’s health, and pet owners should give different feeds at different times for better growth.
- Geckos digest insects faster than any other food item; you can give your wide pet varieties of insects that are not poisonous. Adult geckos do not eat every day, therefore preparing a meal for gecko is an effortless job.
- You can feed your pet twice a week for its proper growth. If you have an immature pet, you should feed him every day. An immature gecko requirement might be more than a mature gecko, and he must need proper care and nutrition-rich food.
- Giving vitamin and calcium is as important as for our body, don’t skip the diet plan you have made for your pet. Lastly, water is essential; give your gecko plenty of water. You can place water in a bowl in his habitat so he can drink when he feels like.
Leopard gecko disease and illness!
Like any other living creature, the gecko also faces some health issues. A health issue might arise due to improper care, which includes their diet. It is hard when a gecko develops any disease; you can prevent your pet from any disease by taking good care of them.
Most common disease a gecko develops is osteodystrophy, which is a deficiency of calcium that causes loss of bone density. You can identify the disease in your pet through symptoms such as weakness, tremors, and swollen limbs. A gecko can easily overcome this if treated with a calcium-rich food diet.
Digestive tract blockages
Sometimes, gecko swallows gravels and sand, which cause blockages and bowel obstructions. A minor blockage in the respiratory system can even lead to the death of your pet. You can avoid this situation by cleaning the pet’s feeding area from sand and gravels.
leopard gecko, when feeding daily, hardly avoid eating food, and this is the reason they are known to be healthy eaters. A diet that s consists of more fat leads to obesity conditions, obesity itself acquiring some other health issues.
Maintaining a diet that consists of a balanced amount of fat content can quickly help your pet overcome obesity. You can identify obesity symptoms through egg binding, molting, and tail loss of your pet. Every problem has a solution; once you identify your pet’s problems, you can take them to any doctor or change their food diet.
The above mention information is sufficient to know about the leopard gecko. The information can help you to follow the right diet plan for your pet.